Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Adultry, Can get you life in prison..."

Well, in West Virginia anyway. Did you catch the one about the dumb laws still on the books here in West Virginia? I have to admit when this popped in on my Newsfeed, it left me shaking my head. You see, for many years it was a crime to commit adultry in WV. (The law was abolished in 1980). In 1976 a WV man, in Logan WV  was caught cheating on his wife and pleaded a no contest in an adultry case and spent 8 days in jail for the crime of comitting adultery. In 2010 WV State Police ordered him to register as a sex offender on the WV Sex Registry for the crime.
WTH! He was then forced to be placed on the registry and be one of the WV lifetime sex offenders, or spend the rest of his life in prison for the crime. He says he has suffered humiliation during his time spent on the registry and pleaded his case before a Marion County (WV) judge. The judge ordered him removed from the list last December. The man is now suing the WV State Police over this matter. I really can't blame this man. This is some of the craziest I have heard and I hope he wins his case! Seriously, WTH is this? In case you haven't heard a few months ago WV ranked in at #4 on the list of Coruption in this country and US Attorney,William J. Ihlenfeld II has opened up an investigation into all the corruption going on in this state (It's about damn time someone listened) If you live in WV and wish to make a complaint, you can do so by calling 1-855-982-3337 or email wvafeds@usdoj.gov (you may have to copy and paste the email address) You can also wish to remain anonymous.
So, what is your opinion on the man forced to register as a sex offender when his only crime was adultry? Does your state have some off the wall dumb laws? Was this the biggest crime in WV during that era? Can you imagine the number of police calls made for this? Didn't the police have anything else to do? Tell me about it.
Don't forget to check out these great blogs

14 comments:

  1. I hope he wins his case too. No one should have to go through all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i probably have an unpopular opinion on sex offenders---i think of course this case, is a grave misuse of our judicial system---and tax payers money---of course he did wrong--i also think sex offenders are the only ones that can do their time and still, in the state i live in, be held in institutions--i know there are many that do go on to re-offend--i don't know what the answers are----and i think the cases also with kids, say an 18 year old male and a 16 year old--they should not be held to the same sex registry laws--- great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Until reading that I had never heard of adultry listed as a "crime". That sounded so absurd to me. Murder=yes Adultry=No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn I agree on the misuse of taxpayers money and what a circus that is, in all 50 States and there are so many registries in this country now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... can't say I have an opinion on this, lol. Maybe because I know so little about politics and laws and stuff. All I know is if the hubs ever cheated on me, he'd probably rather go to jail than face me, because I'd castrate him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think people who commit adultery are kind of in a prison of their own making, anyway.

    But I think there are probably weird stupid laws ALL OVER, not just WV!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie- Mine would probably yell for the death penalty. :) Adultry would rate in with a morals. To me, it would be a private matter to be worked out in the court of family either with the couple or the help of a pastor or counceling. Can you imagine how big an adultrous registry would be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy I agree on the personal prison. IMO if an affair happens something was missing. Couples should be able to talk about the issues and decide on the outcome and come to decisions in the family unit, not in a court of law. I also agree on dumb laws in every state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the registry but really, how hard would it be to examine the cases and decide who should go on the list? I'm glad they're examining the laws and corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great post. That poor guy...I mean adultery sucks and we all know that but life in prison...register as a sex offender...ridiculous. I hope that he wins his case too. Why doesn't it surprise me that WV is #4? Another reason to be glad that I am leaving in a few months LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clarissa- I agree that the offenders registry should exist, but for the reason it was put into existence in the first place- for rapists and child offenders. All others become expensive to the tax payers especially in a case like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracy- you are so lucky to be leaving! I was born and raised in WV, but when I retire it won't be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think its nice everyone knows he's a douche now. Not that I agree with the law. It's a personal matter and shouldn't be a legislative matter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bloody hell. It would be all right for the wife to shoot this guy, but putting him on the offenders list is ridiculous :)

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!