Monday, May 14, 2012

"Love At a Tupperware Party!"

Chilmama.com
So, I saw the story about the Savvy drag queen making bank on sexy Tupperware parties Gosh, I remember the days of my mom and aunts getting together for these. Back then they were so different and  held in regular "old school" church like fashion. Women just setting around gossiping while pretending to admire pieces of plastic and the amazing things they could do in the kitchen. Not like the kind they have
today, where they combine a Tupperware/Adult Party type girls night out. You know, you go to your bff's party get hammered, come home with gel's, creams, and things running on batteries; and weeks later had forgotten about the pieces of plastic you purchased, "I spent what? Yeah, On plastic? What the hell was I thinking?" I saw this and just couldn't resist, you see I met my now hubby at my aunts Tupperware Party in 1979 (we were both teenagers).  So anyway, my mom forced  me to go to babysit the kids so that their mommas could attend the plastic gossip party. As it turns out my now hubby lived up around the corner and was walking down the street and heard me yelling at the kids I was in charge of to look after. He told me later that his first reaction was, "Hey now! Who is that?" He walked over and we just started talking. Who would have thought that a hello would have led to where we are today? It was definitely a love at first sight connection. Anyway, my mom wasn't too thrilled at the time that I had met him there, especially when I "was supposed to babysitting!" and well  I said, "Thank God for gossiping women and plastic!" and I was grounded for like an entire month. 

So, How did you meet your special someone? Have you been together a long time, or are you still in the honeymoon stage?

24 comments:

  1. I met my husband at work and we both looked at each other and thought the same thing - cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this topic - your story is so cute! No, haven't met my someone yet... I'm waiting... tapping my nails... trying to be patient which isn't so easy! (This is Bozo, had to switch my name.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @bozo/Lady In Red- Love the new name btw and your love is waiting to be found. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story and who would have thought that Tupperware would be so expensive! I'm not sure what it was then, but now it's crazy. I'll have to hop over to read your other first loves!
    I met my hubby while vacationing in Club Med with some girl friends. It's a fun story that I love to tell!
    A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing about Tupperware was it lasts and lasts and lasts. And it highly portable and lightweight. Lots of great qualities--including promoting gossipy gatherings. Do they still have those parties?

    My guy and I met at college. I thought he was a stalker. He thought I was cute and kept following me around. He's been following me around ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tupperware is too expensive for me--i use the used chinese take-out containers and cool whip things--frank and i met on a blind date--so cute how you two met!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @L Diane Wolfe- Awww on meeting your hubby @ work. Loved your first loves posting. :)
    @Lady In Red- I am sure your someone special is just waiting to meet you. :)
    @Tracy- LOL on the Club Med meeting. Loved reading your First Loves posting too. I agree Tupperware is crazy expensive.
    @CLeeMcKenzie- The last Tupperware Party I went to was like 3 1/2 yrs ago and it was a combo party of Tupperware and Adult Themed. I know now why they served drinks- geesh- it was to get unsuspecting ppl to buy :) LOL on meeting your guy and thinking he was a stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute post. I always hated tupperware parties :) Love the plastic, just hate the parties! I met my husband at church 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Judy- actually I too don't care for them much I agree with others it is so overpriced. Awww on you and your hubby meeting. :) I have read so many First Loves postings today of many others who have been married for quite a few years, and also married their first loves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met my husband in a chat room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Dana- Awww I love hearing that you met online and well there are so many scary stories out there. I have heard a few others say the their romance blossomed over the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I met Hubby at school, aged 17. He liked me for two years, before we finally got together - it could have ended very differently!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love at a Tupperware Party, now that's something you don't hear about every day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll bet the Tupperware people would love to hear your story. Maybe they'd even send you a free set of magical burping bowls. :O)

    I met my hubby when my brother brought him to my dad's house to fix the brakes on my dad's car. We fell hard and fast...that was over 30 years ago and we're still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Analise- I love it. So many of the First Loves today are still together with their first love. :) Amazing on yours!
    @Faraway Eyes- At first she wouldn't even tell me he was calling for me. She was telling him I wasn't home. :/ He showed up at the house and I answered the door, so she really couldn't say I wasn't home that time. :) So then the day came that he asked my dad for his blessing and my dad said, "Uh No, not on your life." I was actually planning an elope, but my mom wanted it in official in a church. He was afraid it was going to be a WV Shotgun wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Word Nerd- LOL on the Tupperware and love the idea of parting gifts. :) Oh WOW on your love story. Another Happy Ever After. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to meet your husband! Did those kids you were yelling at stand up at your wedding? Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. So plastic and gossip is how you met your husband - fun! :)

    I don't think I knew you had another blog! Heading over now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Empty Nest Insider- LOL no a few were my little cousins the others were just visiting, TG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I met my husband at work. Those crazy tupperware parties. My mom could never afford any of them so we weren't subjected to that as children.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat story! All those Tupperware parties that I've passed up in the past...now rethinking lol. Honestly though, I love your how I met my hubby story. Congratulations on finding love and happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have Tupperware cups from 30 years ago. Haven't even been able to keep my hair that long.

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!