Monday, June 4, 2012

"Yeah So, I'll Pass on the Hillbilly Handfishing"

google images
So, have you ever heard of the TV show Hillbilly Handfishing?  It's the one with the large ogre like hillbilly's who use only their hands and dig deep in rocks to see which one comes up with the largest catfish catch of the day (or just any old fish will do) Well, I live close to the Potomac River where we have often fished. The river is polluted and plagued with a fish called the Snake head fish AKA Frankenfish, so no hillbilly handfish'n goin' on down there, that's for danged sure.

google image
I used to like fishing until reading the signs of Beware of the Snakehead Fish posted along the river. WTH these fish can will come on land to catch and eat ducks, geese, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrel, possums, cats, your dog, your child, you. I have never personally seen a snakehead, but know of fisherman who have caught them on their lines. So, a few weekends ago when it was nice outside, hubby and I are setting with poles in the water. Hubby in his chair; me so I fish from the safety of the truck window and always on constant snakehead alert/watch. Hubby makes me take Dramamine as if that is going to somehow help me in the instance I should see a snake head fish, yeah whatever. So on this particular day birds are chirping, it's quiet when all of a sudden all of the freak'n ducks in the river hauled ass; flying and quacking flapping wings like something is after them. I don't know why, but my only response was to go into Sheriff Brody mode (from the movie Jaws) and start screaming "get out of the water!" Hubby must have been napping a little because startled he jumps up and says, "What the hell are you doing? You are scaring the fish!" So, I am like "what the hell are you talking about, the damn fish down here scare me." The Chihuahua was barking frantically at all of this; the truck is being plummeted with duck shit as they scrambled to fly away and yeah, he caught nothing that day, which was my fault of course. He missed his one big chance at catching something today.
Fish Game and Wildlife folks around here say, If you catch one, shoot it and kill it. Which to some hillbilly folks, gives new meaning to goin' fish'n
So have you ever heard of the snakehead fish? Have you ever caught one? Been attacked on land by one?
(Natural Resources has also pulled several alligators from this river in years passed. Alligators and Croc's, in WV?)

Father's Day is coming up in roughly two weeks, so for the next several weeks I have some postings that are sort of with the Male gender in mind, except for Friday's. Friday's will be the weekly post of the Follow Friday, 40 and over posting. 

15 comments:

  1. I've heard of the snakehead fish but didn't know it could come on land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alex- Yepper's on the fish coming out of water to snatch up some food along the banks. The signs remind you to stay alert at all times. Fishing is supposed to be something relaxing, but not for me. Just knowing they are in that river raises my blood pressure up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I have no issue living in New England, the woes that happens here are the snow storms and those are a shrug off if you've lived here long enough.

    Now this fish you speak of doesn't sound like a fish at all, it sounds like some sort of mutant..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Funny post - I just love the way you started screaming ;-)

    I've never seen one or ever heard of one. But we have plenty of actual snakes here so I feel like I've had my share of craziness lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kevin- That'd be a no on the mutant fish. They are a fish from Asia. Reports on the fish in our river say that some Wanker Hillbilly's were raising them in their fish bowls and then got a little scared of them and dumped them in the river, which of course upset the whole eco system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lady in Red- I have no clue why I did that, there was a reason why all the ducks were scared, and I didn't count them before, but can bet at least 3-4 were probably missing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of them either, but as usual, I loved your post. You never fail to make me smile. :) <---- That's me, smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol. I've never watched that show (I'm not real big on reality TV), but I always wanted to see one of those guys pull his arm out and start screaming because a monster fish ate his hand. Seriously. If you stick your hand in a big underwater hole, it's not really reasonable to expect it back again.

    I've heard that Snakeheads are bad news. I've never seen one either. Lots o teeth from what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't think i have heard of this type of fish--but i have heard of catching fish with your hands---i have heard it called "noodling"---great idea about the men posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dana- LOL My heart was racing at 10,000 beats a minute over the thought that one of those fish was coming out of the water and he was more concerned about the duck crap on his truck. "I just washed my truck" Yeah so, I'll be okay too. :)
    @Becky- LOL yeah that would be funny to see and catfish have an angry sting, those ogre's must be used to that. Snake head fish are pretty scary to even think they can live on land for 4 days- terrifies me.
    @ Lynn- LOL on top of that fish, they have caught gators there. I just thought since it's fathers day coming up to do a few posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never heard of this fish before. Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds terrifying, but I'm afraid of putting the worm on so it's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts always make me laugh out loud. I still can't decide what the funniest part of this story is... 1) You took the dramamine, but he fell asleep, 2) You fishing from the safety of inside the vehicle (that imagery is freakin' hilarious) while he fishes from the beach, 3) You screaming and waking him up to save his life and he gets mad because a) you scared off all the fish, and b) the bird crap on his freshly washed truck. And then there is the scary as all get-out fish snake looming in the background (metaphorically) since it didn't actually make an appearance. Bless your husband's heart... he's either the bravest or most foolish man I have never met. Willing to tangle with a fish snake just to get some stinky ole fish. Doesn't he know you can buy some in the grocery store without risking life and limb???? It would be better for your BP, too. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First, the hillbilly hand fishing.. These people need to find something better to do than breed with each other.. Second, the picture of you fishing from the pick up? Hilarious! And this snake head fish. I think I have heard of it or something similar. I thought we were safe in Lake Michigan - 2 blks. from our home, where we swim! - But apparently Asian carps have gotten into the lake and they eat everything, as far as I know, only what resides in the lakes but these carp get to be over 100lbs.! They tip fishing boats over! Scary stuff lurking out there. - Great post. - And I agree. If I have to fight off the Godzilla of the lake, I'm buying the fish from the market!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The show, Hillbilly Hand Fishing is so ridiculous! I caught a few minutes of it one time when I was passing through a room and wow...makes me wonder what in the world those guys are thinking. Not me...no way. Am I chicken? Heck yeah, when it comes to stuff like that!

    Snakeheads, yes I have heard of them and I would be scared to go down by that water too if I were you. Nasty creatures. I'd just love to thank the yahoos who got them started in the US! *shivers*

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!