Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"Living In Shangri-La... Trailer Park"

Mine was that red and white one on the left
So once more I am back to some more of those: Rednecks and Summer type postings... Many years ago, we lived in a trailer park and not just any ole trailer park. This one was definitely one that could have been featured on The Jerry Springer Show... Jerry, Jerry, Jerry and Jerry beads were often handed out at the mailbox. I'm not sure, but I think Jerry's movie Ringmaster was written about a few of my neighbors, if not it came pretty close to describing their stories. 
The road going into Shangri-La was tricky especially at night,
unless you knew exactly where the sink holes were in the middle of the road. Ambulance's didn't so they often went airborne over one or two of the holes. The owner was too busy living in some fantasy world of "Bruce Lee taught him karate" to care or worry about the atmosphere, or to take care of the place much less care about those sink holes in the road. At first there was a neighborhood watchman. His name was Peeping Tom. Not really, but that is what he did at night and all dressed up in Ninja type clothing. Another neighbor turned out to have a very green thumb (look out Martha Stewart), growing a garden of  "funny smokes." It was nice of the cops to come and harvest his crop for him once a year, don't you think? Car stereo speakers often booming not with rap music but bluegrass music boomed a squealed from them. (Oh yay) And oh the neighbors there... Billy Ray who held a daily yard sale and one day hung a sign that read:  "Layaway Now Available"; Buck and Mary Sue who had that valuable beer bottle collection of all the Dale Earnhardt Pabst Blue Ribbon bottles. Oh Shangri-La, where just setting on the porch sipping on the fine wine of  Traileur Trashe' Sauvignon, which was a local backyard wine made by neighbor Jimmy Joe in a wringer washer on his front porch; I realized that the real life cops are better than anything on TV especially after two neighbors Junior and Ricky Ray got into a fight over a fishing bait. One was tasered, the other shot with rubber pellets. At least once a week, you came home from work to a business door hanger, not from the local Domino's Pizza offering coupons and specials, but the bail bondsman weekly special.  Peachy who took seriously "it takes a village to raise an idiot" opened the neighborhood daycare at the laundrymat.  Luckily our trailer set on top of Shangri-La Swamp, which also doubled as the neighborhood swimming sink hole. When the neighbors washed clothes or we had a hard rain, the swamp would fill up with water and mosquitoes and would get a stagnant odor. Of course the fun only lasted until the sun came out and dried it all up. For thirteen miserable years we lived in the depths of hell that trailer park; right down to the can's of Raid in every room of the house and the flea and tick soap on a rope. Do you know how hard it was finding Raid cans to match the color decor of the rooms? Right before we left, Nancy Jo's daughter Betty Sue had a bouncing baby boy and she named him Oscar. Lil Oscar Jr- weirdly enough his dad Oscar Sr.'s last name was Myer. Oh yeah those were the days I do not miss living at the old Shangri-La Park.
This little goody was given by the ever so funny blogger Lily who blogs @ The Incoherent Ramblings of a Moose. If you have never visited her blog, stop by for hilarious, not a mommy blogger tales. Thank you Lily and Spawn for picking my blog for the Llamalicious Blogger Award! 



16 comments:

  1. kinda like a high rise trailer park - is this real? Where does everyone park their cars. ha,ha
    You are funny and I shall come back to read more. Have a great day. Cheers, Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'd pass on the wine made in a washer.
    Any bathtub gardens?
    What about lawn ornaments? (You know - dead vehicles.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never lived in a trailer park, but I had plenty of friends that did when I was younger. I miss the antics. It was always funny to see all the drama played out in the front yards. I was always glad none of it was mine, but funny, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tale almost decsribes an area in Pasco county where I live.

    Hugs,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. You see this kind of thing on TV and in the movies...you mean this shit is real?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having flashbacks of a life I've never even lived!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, this is not a redneck trailer park I am living in. lol. Oh how life would be so much easier. Nope, instead, I feel like I should rush out to Best Buy and buy the Rosetta Stone- Spanish edition. It's not bluegrass that we are hearing, it's (in the words of my 8 year old) "La-Coo-Coo-Roach-A"

    I totally enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds so hilarious - - and so americana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to start a beer bottle collection, but I hear you can't open them to keep their value...and that's just not going to happen. (Just joking...I don't even drink beer!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gossip Girl, I don't see an email addy on here for you... Can you email me at rarichards68@gmail.com when you have a chance so that I can email you back? Thanks! No, I don't want to complain about your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  11. "LOL...Traileur Trashe, sounds positively refined.

    Seriously GG, the way in which this is written, makes it so easy to envisage being there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Gossip Girl. I love matching Raid to your decor. Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They should totally film a reality show there! Hell, they've got Hillbilly Hand Fishing, why not tales from Shangri-La?? Poor you and I'm so happy you escaped! - Great post and congratulations on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only real problem I would have with living in a trailer park is that, were I to get drunk, I would have real problem identifying my trailer. They would all look too similar, esp. in an inebriated state.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is HILARIOUS! Love the bit about matching the raid cans! Geez, you could write a book about this stuff but people wouldn't believe it was non-fiction!!! Excellent post, and congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG someone else who lives in Redneck country? The stories we could write. I am in Alabama but not originally from here, not that it makes much difference when you live with them so long you find yourself wearing camouflage mens boxer shorts to sleep in anyway. Demon Seed and The Devil's Advocate wanted to go for a drive one day and found that just a short distance down the road is a three story mobile home, one stacked on top of another. Of course none of them match or even come from the same era but by golly they have a three story home to brag about! I just couldn't be sure which lawn decoration impressed me the most, the goat tied to a long rope to "mow" the grass or the concrete fountain shooting water out of his penis. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!