Monday, February 11, 2013

"My Guest Today is Writer, Donna Hole"

Today is Monday and that means time for another Guest. This weeks guest is writer and blogger, Donna Hole. Donna is a Since Valentines Day is only three days away I asked if she could write us a special posting for the day. I am very honored that she said yes and said she would be a guest here. Just in case you haven't met Donna yet, she is an erotic writer.

So what comes to mind when you hear or think about Romance? Do you immediately reach for the chocolate and roses? Or conduct an on-line search for an exotic location at a beach full of bronze bodies in
speedo's and golden haired beauties wearing barely a string bikini? (I'm not showing my age here, am I?) Or perhaps you're one of those unbelievers that run screaming from the concept of romance with a declaration you're the most un-romantic person ever to exist? I used to be the last one. I read some Harlequin Romance when I was a teen, and after a few books – like three or four at best - I gave
up on romance and Valentines Day, and I decided the version of Cupid I liked best is that he is a spoiled little sprite and not a cherubic entity from Heaven.
In fact, that image of Cupid as a trickster was so ingrained in my mind that when the opportunity presented to write a twisted fairy tale for a long past blogfest, Cupid was top on my hit list for a personal
prank. I used the mythological tale of Cupid and Psyche to create my own version of how and why Cupid fell victim to his own leaded arrow, and to show him as a trickster instead of the agent of love and desire. After many critiques and revisions, this darkly romantic story was accepted in An Honest Lie, Vol 4; Petulant Parables (coming soon).

I have read a few romance novels that I liked, and the memory of the happily ever after sticks so fleeting in my mind I cannot readily recall the titles. I assure you Danielle Steel is not a writer I enjoy. All that extravagance and cast of beautiful people stops my heart in a “OMG I think I'm gonna puke” manner. A romance novel focuses on the love relationship between the two main characters. Secondary character and story plots are acceptable, but the developing romance – and subsequent happily ever after (HEA) ending - is essential. Even the subgenre's such as historical, science fiction, fantasy, paranormal and YA have to follow this basic formula to retain the categorical definitions. (Erotica is in a category of its own, as the story focus is on the sexual relationship, not the emotional bonding.)
For me, what's the point of reading the story if the end is already assured? The two meet, have conflict, but ultimately overcome all the forces pulling them apart and they are in love, and get married and have perfect children, and . . yada yada; love conquers all obstacles. Despite my dislike for the genre, my first novel was written as a contemporary romance. My reasoning was that I was breaking ground with a whole new concept, taking subject matter normally covered in non-fiction (substance abuse and domestic violence) and creating sympathetic, fictional characters whom anyone can relate to as a brother, sister, parent, best friend, co-worker, etc. After (rightly) being rejected by Harlequin as “too dark and gritty” for any of their publication lines, I did some extensive research on what romance is, and discovered the alternative of women's fiction.
When my blogger friend Denise Covey (L'Aussie Denise) invited me to post excerpts to the challenges (prompts) at Romantic Friday Writers (RFW), I initially sent an incredulous response that amounted to “Are you serious? I'm not a romance writer!” Somewhere in the emptiness of my soul, I am a hopeless romantic of the Jodi Picoult, Sandra Brown and occasionally Nora Roberts style. A story without a love interest, no matter how exciting the plot or how well developed the characters, can get pretty boring. As a romantic however, the love interest is not the focus of the story; it is a secondary plot, and the potential lovers may not end up together (no matter how well built the romance/attraction). The ending is satisfactory, as opposed to happy, and the reader has the
opportunity to imagine the story continues; the reader writes their own ending based on their own life experiences and biases whether or not the lovers connect.
What I have learned from writing for RFW – and eventually becoming a co-host – is that any story can have a romantic scene or theme without being termed a romance. And any author can write
romantically. Borrowing a few lines from The Editor's post titled "help unromantic me: "Put the flowers down. Back away from that box of chocolates. This isn’t about you, it’s about the characters. A great romantic other across all preceding scenes.” In other words, one scene does not make a romance story. In real life, would you offer your diabetic partner a box of See's candies if she/he is diabetic? Would you jet them off to Paris or Venice if they had a fear of flying? Would you buy her a Victoria's Secret baby doll outfit if she was ashamed of her weight? Unlikely. You would find some other way to show your love, your romantic side. Especially on Valentine's Day.
I think The Editor's advise works even if you are writing the traditional romance. Think about what is romantic to your specific characters. Build on that over a series of scenes. Is there a reason to give her flowers and chocolates? Or is she more impressed with an unexpected text that says simply “hows your day going?”
The point is to think outside the traditional/cliched romance elements, and write to your couple's personality and back story. Valentines Day is about showing your love, not about adhering to traditional formulas. Be spontaneous, be creative, and listen to the desires of your characters (or real life partners) to dictate what constitutes romance. Eventually, romance and romantic amount to the
same concept, different focuses. Thanks Gossip Girl for allowing me to guest on your blog on the most romantic day of the year. It has been my pleasure to collaborate with you.
I am the hopeless romantic type and it has been a real honor to have Donna stop by. I hope you will stop by and visit her blog, Donna Hole and if you're not doing anything special on Fridays, stop by and visit the Romantic Friday Writers and if interested in writing romance, sign up. Thank you Donna for stopping by with this special posting!

16 comments:

  1. Yeah for Donna!
    You're right about the romance. A story can have that element without that being the focus. It's just another aspect that people can relate to in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Donna. I love a touch of romance in a story. It's like salt, just enough to give everything else a little more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beach full of bronze bodies in
    speedo's ... thanks for the delightful fantasy, Donnzie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Donna! It reminds me of a friend who said the most romantic movie ever is Lord of the Rings. I had to think a second before I realized what he meant. A touch of romance goes a long way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah doesn't always have to just be mushy to have romance, as you prove time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Donna, Hi, Gossip Girl.


    You are SO right on DONNA! Like you, the romantic thing is NOT about he hearts and flowers but the emotion whether good or bad.

    There is usually some "romantic" element in my writing, but more raw, real life. That's what a reader will relate to. Of course the hearts and flowers thing is great for escape reading and I certainly enjoy the occasional ROM/COM but in movies mostly...

    Thanks Donna and Gossip girl for the enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! Nice to meet you, Donna. I kind of shy away from romance because girls have cooties and boys are gross. Just kidding!

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point. There are different ways of being "romantic".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the most romantic things my hubby can do for me would be to, cut the grass once a week instead of every three, or clean the garage, once a year, not just move the crap out of the way to fit his car in when the snow falls, or move my laundry room to the first floor, instead of making me carry laundry up and down a ladder through a hole in the floor (long story). Instead, he will bring home a box of chocolates,(even though I'm allergic but hey that's what they make benadryl for) a bouquet a carnations, and a lovely card. It's the expected, not the desired, but I'll smile and say thank you. His ego will puff out, and then I'll go to the cave and wash the sheets wondering why I can't get my message across. I eloped on Valentine's Day. Romance, it's a farce, but it's also why the happy ending is so important to most readers, stuck in reality we want an escape to the improbable. But that being said, I think the best books written are about truth. Romance novels are about fantasy, escapism. I enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex; it does make it real.

    Great analogy Johanna.

    You're welcome Dezzy :)

    T Drecker: Oh yes, that was a long lasting romance; and it makes my heart break just thinking what would have happened if the two had not ended up together.

    Thanks Pat.

    Love you raw real life concepts Michael. Thanks for stopping by.

    Shelly; nice to meet you too. LOL; love your sentiment there.

    Hi Golden.

    Yolanda: LOL; I think your hubby needs to get a clue. You definitely prove my point about romance being specific to each "character".

    Thanks for hosting me Cindy; it was great fun.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna! Hi Gossip Girl! Great post on romance/romantic Donna. There is a big difference. Even writing for Harlequin you can write a meaty story which is not just about 'his' muscles!
    Thank you for being such a feisty partner for RFW writers, Donna! I'm looking forward to our Valentine month's challenge.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from Donna's blog!

    My WIP is a YA Thriller, but there is a tiny bit of romance in there. Just a little though, because the story isn't about the romantic relationships that are formed. That aspect of the story is just part of the characters' lives.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great way to talk about characters and romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm not a romance writer because I am psychologically unable to write a completely happy ending. I think I write happy endings for the characters, but they are not necessarily the endings the readers are expecting. I'm a relationship writer! Great post though - some great tips to think about, although chocolates will ALWAYS feature :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, there,
    Despite all the genres I read in, I think romance will always be my favourite. I think is wonderful that books in the women's fiction genre allow us to have a bit of romance mixed in with other subjects without romance being the biggest issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Denise :)

    Samantha; that aspect adds just enough spice to the action/dialogue I'm sure.

    Thanks Cherie.

    Annalisa: Oh, I love psychologically satisfying endings.

    Joy; someone has to keep writing them for those readers who enjoy getting lost in the romantic world. I have read a few very good romances. There is a place on my bookshelf for every genre - even if some space is more limited than others.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!