Monday, September 23, 2013

"Dear Aged Folk..."

The following was forwarded to me in an email. Now I don't like sharing forwarded junk email; I don't even
like getting them, but I'll make an exception to the Dear Aged Folks email since it says that it could save
your life. Me- well I don't need expensive home security when I have a kitchen full of everything imaginable that could be used in self defense should I need it. Trust and believe I wouldn't think twice about hitting a burglar in the face with a potato masher. Let's see Louisville Slugger makes a great back up and if I am trapped in my home I have something that is only to be used as a last
resort that is if I don't shoot off my pinky toe first. Folks, I may get to try this Dear Aged Folk soon since lately everyday there has been a plain white van no windows not even a sign reading, "Free Candy" sporting those fancy spinner tires driving up and down the street for several hours real slow through the neighborhood like Pedo Petey looking at everyone's houses and in yards. Now it's doubtful that Petey reads this blog because I am just dying to see what someone looks like after being hit with a potato masher so should this guy be some kind of crazy nut well this menopausal granny has some goodies waiting on him should he attempt to enter my humble abode and one or all of them will have him screaming for me to give him my keys so he can set off my car alarm himself! I think this has my hubby pretty shook up too because he keeps telling me, "just dial 9-1-1"

Dear Aged Folks:

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

I Don't Like Mondays Blog Hop
Send this to everyone you know because it is useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. You can even carry your car keys you in case you fall outside. You can activate the car alarm and then people will know there's a problem. 

12 comments:

  1. That's brilliant! Never thought to do that. But I worry about the fact that my husband sets that damn thing off accidentally all. the. damn. time. I don't know how he does it. And then? He can't turn it off. lol It's fun to laugh at him when he does it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Linda: Hilarious about your hubby can you imagine if someone called 9-1-1 every time one went off accidentally though? I probably should have written in this post that the neighborhood beautification committee has put into place a noise control ordinance and quiet time is from 9pm-9am. I hear folks alarms go off all of time and I don't think I've ever ran to the window or outside to check anything. I have gotten so accustomed to hearing them. :) Ours is so sensitive a cat walking past can set it off. Maybe in the future I should try to be a little more diligent when I hear one just in case someone is setting one off for an emergency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart idea. (We do have an alarm system though.)
    I'd like to see someone whacked in the face with a potato masher as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alex: I haven't seen the white van yet today (thank goodness)but it is still early. Laughing at the potato masher. Honestly I'd be so nervous that I'd probably whack myself with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, that's not a bad idea. I would have to HEAR the rapist/burglar coming in, though. That might be my biggest hurdle, but if I did, WHAMMO, car alarm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea...now everyone - just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, but sadly most people just ignore those alarms as the are set off by accident so often. Also I think most go off automatically after several minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I should just get a panic button installed on my forehead?

    Only one of cars would work for that. The other one doesn't have a strong enough signal to penetrate the walls of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you'd have to mention this method to the neighbors and make sure they'd actually pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Excellent advice.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great advice! I enjoyed reading this post very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great advice! I enjoyed reading this post very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!