Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Banned Books Week: A Hard To Find Book

This week is "Banned Books" week and before this week is over and I don't get another chance until next year, I want to tell you about the banned book that I am trying to find and read. I should also mention that I want to read its first edition not the cut up made for the television version. 
Amazon

First, any book that was banned by the US Government and deemed unfit for any human must be a very great read.  I promise this is not a political post, but could easily lead to one for me.

The book I am referring to is, "The Housewife's Handbook on Selective Promiscuity" written by Rey Anthony or AKA Lillian Maxine Serett, also known as Maxine Sanini and Maxine Savant, born Lillian Maxine Harrison 

I am always interested in reading books about women written for women by women and especially books from other era's. There are several reasons that this book has sparked a real interest.

One is that this book intrigues me more and really makes me want to read this book in its original text because this book was deemed obscene by the federal government which then led to the court case Ginzburg v. the United States, in which the book's publisher, Ralph Ginzburg was prosecuted and served six months in federal prison for publishing the book. Savant, the author, was never prosecuted. 

"Maxine Serett" was an assumed name she took on only for the trial. At the time of her death at age 70 in Pasadena, Texas, she had been using the assumed name Maxine Sanini for more than two decades. 

This week I think I embarrassed the librarian for asking about this particular book, much less the expectation that it would be available in our local library. I think she secretly tried to shame me for even requesting this book but I bet now that she's talked to me she too secretly wants to read the book.

I looked on Amazon and the original book in hardcover is priced at $1,999.98. In paperback, $828.14 so you just know that not only is this a hard to find book with only like three left in the first edition, it likely has words that it is no doubt unfit for our little peepers to gaze upon with words like an orgasm written between its covers deemed by the powers that be. 

Although it says that the Kindle version is $0 it isn't available on Kindle. I learned that by clicking the "Look Inside"

Keep in mind when the author first picked up the pen to start writing it was in an era in which it was believed that women should know nothing about their bodies. When an orgasm could actually land a lady in a mental asylum in earlier times. 

This is all too good for someone like me to even try to make it all up, but you can read for yourself. I will not be able to read it this week but have added it to the bucket list.


So, have any of you ever wanted to read a book like this? What is your favorite banned book? Did you ever think that writing such a book could land your publisher in jail? 

Info and pic for this post found on Amazon
Other information found at Wiki
Female Hysteria

© 2018 Gossip_GrL

10 comments:

  1. Those Amazon prices are wacky, I often see my book listed for over $900 used paper back, when it can be ordered from the publisher for $18 (still a steal...for the publisher, not the reader) This book is listed for $9.99 kindle addition if you don't want on-line addition I'll bet you have a book store do some research to find where you could buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I agree the Amazon prices seem crazy! I have started searching the book stores and am hoping that I can find it in one.

      Delete
  2. Or, it looks like you can download a pdf for free here:

    https://literacymatters.info/27595299-the-housewife-s-handbook-on-selective-promiscuity-by-rey-anthony.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... I've probably read books that were banned at one time or another, though I've never really looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew I read a lot of books and during this week I have for years chosen one on the list to read during this week. This is the first year I have had a hard time finding a particular read.

      Delete
  4. I had a really good line about the "Look inside " feature... but it might get me banned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW That's hilarious! You can always blog about it!

      Delete
  5. Never heard of the book but now I want too read it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a very interesting content you have there. Every line i read is just like i open a new world. Please post more often,because this is exactly the type of content i want every day. i promise to visit everyday.



    ReplyDelete

Like the posting? Give Me a Hollerback here! Don't like it, well post a hollerback anyway, if you'ant to!